After a win and a draw in their first two home matches of 2021, Las Vegas Lights FC have now dropped back-to-back matches at Cashman Field. Last night, they were defeated by San Diego Loyal SC, 2-1, with Marvin Gamez scoring the lone LV goal sandwiched between goals from Alejandro Guido and Miguel Berry for Loyal SC.
20 shots, 61% possession for Loyal SC. Despite playing on the road, San Diego controlled possession and were the more aggressive side offensively.
Three Brightest Lights
CC Uche: Captaining the defense, Uche finished with a whopping ten clearances and added three tackles.
Frank Daroma: The dynamic midfielder completed 95.5% of his passes, made four interceptions, and created one chance.
Marvin Gamez: He came off the bench to score the equalizer in the second half on his lone shot.
- While they did get an equalizer after the break from Gamez, it was a second-half goal that did the Lights in again. A poor giveaway saw Corey Hertzog’s shot saved before Berry buried the winner.
- Las Vegas was the victim of LAFC’s schedule having matches on Wednesday and tonight. That left them without loanees like Danny Musovski, Cal Jennings, Bryce Duke, and Tomas Romero.
- Without some of those attacking players, the Lights didn’t have enough firepower to go toe-to-toe with San Diego.
- Eric Iloski and Michael Yeboah made their debuts. Iloski is a rookie and Yeboah is a teenager that burst onto the scene in the Ghanian Premier League.
- The water balloon fight took place at halftime and was utter chaos. From a soccer perspective, it’s disappointing that there is debris from the stunt on the pitch for the entire second half. There will be post-match fireworks next week, thankfully that won’t impact the match at all.
Las Vegas Lights FC will get a chance to get back on track at home next weekend when they host Tacoma Defiance, whom they defeated in the 2021 home opener. The Seattle Sounders FC affiliate plays tomorrow vs. LA Galaxy II.