Las Vegas Lights FC found themselves level at halftime with San Diego Loyal SC. But, a late, second-half flurry from San Diego saw the Lights defeated 5-1 on the road.
Four goals conceded between the 71st and 88th minute. This match was actually tied in the 70th minute before it became an absolute blowout. That run of four goals was a combination of poor defending and a talented Loyal SC attack pouncing on the Lights.
Three Brightest Lights
(BGN Man of the Match) Cal Jennings: The only reliable goalscorer for the Lights, Jennings converted his first-half chance to equalize and had three total shots plus two chances created.
Nathan Sepulveda: He completed 85% of his passes, created a chance, made one tackle, and intercepted two passes in the Las Vegas midfield.
Danny Musovski: His quick pass to Jennings to set up the lone goal was quality and he added two shots of his own.
- While the Lights got a solid contingent of offensive players from LAFC last night, they were a little thin at the back with no CC Uche, Mamadou Fall, or Mohamed Traore. That left Armando Avila to make his second start, this time at center-back, and Michael Yeboah, an attacking player, at right-back.
- The performance last night was reminiscent of one of the Lights’ early losses this season where defensive miscues in the second half blow a close match wide open.
- Without Uche or Danny Crisostomo in the squad, the captain’s armband went to Jennings last night.
- That’s three losses for Lights FC vs. San Diego. They face off one more time this regular season, September 25th in Las Vegas.
- The Lights have only won one of their last seven matches, a 3-1 victory vs. Orange County SC on July 27th. With their performance fading and other clubs picking up points in the division, the postseason is becoming an afterthought for Las Vegas.
On Saturday, Las Vegas Lights FC are back at Cashman Field as they host Oakland Roots SC. Yesterday, Oakland played to a 1-1 draw with New Mexico United.