For the first time since late-July, Las Vegas Lights FC have won a match in the USL Championship. They snapped a 13-match winless streak with a 1-0 victory vs. Tacoma Defiance.
One goal scored, zero goals conceded. As I’ve mentioned in past recaps, sometimes, it simply comes down to one club scoring while the other doesn’t. Tacoma held the edge in possession and nearly doubled Las Vegas in shots, but it was only the Lights that could find the net and they ended their lengthy stretch without a win.
Three Brightest Lights
Bruce El-Mesmari: The 19-year-old scored the lone goal last night for Lights FC, his first tally of the season.
Alex Rando: Already the league leader in saves, Rando added six more to his total and picked up a clean sheet on the road.
Cal Jennings: His header provided the assist on El-Mesmari’s goal and he added four shots of his own.
- The decisive goal last night was almost a blur. It came so quickly after the half and was such a crisp, swift play as it went from Rando’s foot to a header from Jennings, right to El-Mesmari, who buried his chance, in what felt like a few seconds.
- Honestly, that’s the type of play that’s happened too often to Las Vegas during the winless run. A quick score from the opposing team serving as the difference in a closely-contested match.
- Dekel Keinan turned in a great performance in his second start for the club. He racked up 11 clearances and two interceptions while also completing 82% of his passes.
- Playing next to Keinan, captain CC Uche connected on 75/82 passes and had two clearances and two interceptions.
- This was Lights FC’s third victory this season over the Defiance. They haven’t defeated another club in 2021 more than once.
- During the streak that nearly extended three months, the Lights never let the lack of results impact their effort. That’s a great sign of the mental fortitude of these young players and also a tip of the cap to Steve Cherundolo, who kept his side motivated.
Las Vegas Lights FC will face a tall task when trying to make this a winning streak as they host Phoenix Rising FC on Saturday afternoon. Rising FC, who lead the USL Championship in points, were defeated last night by Orange County SC.