The 2021 USL Championship season ended for Las Vegas Lights FC with a 2-1 home defeat vs. the Tampa Bay Rowdies.
15-7 shot advantage for Tampa Bay. The elite defense of the Rowdies limited the chances for Las Vegas and they were able to double their shots at the other end.
Three Brightest Lights
Danny Trejo: He continued his great form with one goal and three shots on the night.
Mohamed Traore: The young defender tallied 11 clearances and delivered a perfect ball to Trejo on the lone goal.
Tristan Weber: Starting at left-back, he made four tackles, two clearances, and added one shot.
- Down the stretch, once he was healthy, Trejo proved that he can be a productive striker at the professional level.
- Playing against the top club in the entire USL Championship, a 2-1 loss isn’t the worst result by any means.
- Alex Rando finished the season in the top three for USL Championship history for single-season saves.
- The club finishes 2021 with a 6-23-3 record. That is a new franchise-record for losses in a season (previous high was 19 in 2018).
- Despite consistent ticket giveaways/promotions, the attendance numbers never seemed to reach the high standard the club set for itself back in the early days.
Another offseason of uncertainty for Las Vegas Lights FC. Will they return in 2021 as the USL affiliate of LAFC again? Or, as a completely independent club like they were from 2018-2020? Also, there are the rumblings of MLS expansion, which could factor into the 2022 plans for Lights FC. We will have to wait and see…