Despite leading the match 1-0 and 2-1, Las Vegas Lights FC were defeated by Real Monarchs SLC by a 3-2 scoreline. Christian Torres and Cal Jennings scored for Las Vegas while Charlie Wehan, Max Mata, and Milan Iloski had the goals for the hosts.
Two leads lost: The Lights were able to score first in both halves, but neither time were they able to hold onto the lead. It’s natural to let your foot off the gas a little bit when you hold the advantage, but it’s a major letdown for Las Vegas to give away two leads and then allow a match-winner on top of that.
Three Brightest Lights
BGN Man of the Match Cal Jennings: He made a smooth quick pass to assist on Torres’ opening goal and then scored the go-ahead goal in the second half.
Christian Torres: Similar to Jennings, Torres finished with a goal and an assist. He added two interceptions.
Roberto Molina: He was our SpotLight player entering the match and responded with two chances created, a shot on goal, two interceptions, and five tackles.
- The Lights had multiple shots hit the frame of goal on the night and that came back to bite them in the end.
- Losing two leads will be tough to stomach for Steve Cherundolo. It also highlights the youth of the roster not being able to control the action and see things out. Those are things that come with experience and they will learn from this defeat.
- Rough outing for Mamadou Fall. He picked up a yellow card for carelessly smashing the ball into the crowd following a whistle and then conceded the foul in the box to give Monarchs SLC their match-winning penalty.
- This month, the Lights have played a part in ending winless streaks for Real Monarchs and Sacramento Republic FC.
- LAFC loaned seven players down from the first team and all of them appeared in the starting XI.
Las Vegas Lights FC return to Downtown Vegas on Tuesday when they host Orange County SC. OCSC play tonight against Sacramento Republic FC and defeated the Lights earlier this season.