For the first time this season, Las Vegas Lights FC held a lead, by way of a goal from Alvaro Quezada. But, San Diego Loyal SC would get goals from Alejandro Guido and Corey Hertzog in the second half to pick up a win in their home opener.
Two second-half goals for San Diego. As they’ve done throughout the season thus far, Las Vegas lost control of this match after halftime. The club has conceded 14 goals this season with 12 of those goals coming in the second half.
Three Brightest Lights
Alvaro Quezada: He scored the lone goal for Lights FC and added five tackles and a chance created.
Frank Daroma: The energetic midfielder turned in another solid all-around performance. He completed 57 passes (93% accuracy), registered five tackles, and had a shot on target.
Cal Jennings: While he didn’t register a shot, the LAFC loanee picked up the assist on Quezada’s goal and was often the most involved player in the attack.
- Nice play by Jennings on the Las Vegas goal as he was able to work his way to the end line and set up an easy chance for Quezada following a throw-in.
- Mohamed Traore had to depart due to injury just minutes into the second half. It was a tough loss for the Lights’ defense as he had already made seven clearances and won two fouls.
- Still leading 1-0 at the time, Lights FC’s Julian Gaines appeared to get away with a handball in the box early in the second half.
- Alex Rando has now made 23 saves in just two matches for Lights FC. Despite conceding seven goals in those matches, the young goalkeeper has handled himself well.
- Rando made at least a couple of saves on the sequence for the final goal. It was chaos in front of goal with numerous players for both clubs and Hertzog finally smashed it in for the match-winner.
- Steve Cherundolo went back to the 4-3-3 formation that he used in two of the first three matches this season.
- After captaining Lights FC in their previous three matches, CC Uche was out due to injury last night.
- While they didn’t get many shots off last night, it’s a positive that they put 4/5 shots on target. When you have limited opportunities, it’s important to be accurate with your chances.
Next week, Las Vegas Lights FC finally have their home opener as they continue to search for their first points of the season. In the first match at Cashman Field of 2021, Las Vegas will host Tacoma Defiance next Saturday night.