Kevin has been talking about time wasting vs diving for quite some time, so we asked LauraEllen to join us with some actual research so we can see where this thing goes. Together with Mike they discuss:
- The differences between a binary deception (claiming a throw-in that isn’t yours) and a grey area deception (kinda-sorta-diving in the box).
- Whether we as fans actually WANT that level of deception in the game,
- What, if anything, can and or should be done about it.
And SO much more! There was also a decent amount of Riverhounds news that we share our thoughts on, overall it was a really packed show that we hope you enjoy!
Here are the links to some of the articles that LauraEllen references in the event you’d like to dig deeper and share your own thoughts:
- “Strategic rule breaking: Time wasting to win soccer games” Greve et al., 2019, published in PLOS One
- “Analysis of time-wasting in English Premier League football matches: Evidence for unethical behavior in final minutes of close contests”
- “get up and play: how the ethics of soccer players faking injury is killing the game”
- Radiolab article on Mark Cuban researching Flopping
Be part of the show in real time (notice how we put comments on the screen and talk about them during the show?) by following us on Youtube! That way you’ll be alerted about the show, you can join us live, share your thoughts, and join the conversation!
Check out this week’s show:
Check out our sponsors:
We’re the water-cooler where Pittsburgh soccer players and fans hang out and talk all things Riverhounds, Pittsburgh Hotspurs, and more. Be sure to go follow us on twitter @mongoals and get exclusive after-show content and other merchandise by following the show on Patreon. Subscribe to the show by clicking your favorite podcast app using the links below:
Thanks everyone! Go Hounds!