Heartbreak in Cincinnati

In a highly anticipated matchup, Riverhounds SC came up empty vs. FC Cincy.

After seeing a win turn into a draw the last two games, the Riverhounds looked to straighten things out Saturday against FC Cincinnati. However, like the game on Wednesday, the Riverhounds were not able to hold a lead. Decisions by referees that could have affected the outcome were also a factor in a second straight game.  Regardless, the Riverhounds were handed their fourth loss of the season and are still in a heated race for a top four position in the standings.

The Riverhounds came out in the first half with a high tempo attitude. Passes were short and quick, balls were played deep to create space and keep FC Cincinnati at bay. This type of tempo started paying off when a bad pass led to Kenardo Forbes making a great run and firing a shot, but it was deflected out. For the next ten minutes, FC Cincinnati found themselves under attack with beautiful runs from Christiano Francois and Thomas Vancaeyezeele, and a point-blank shot from Romeo Parkes, however, the score stayed 0-0.  In the 27th minute, FC Cincinnati almost took the lead when Nazmi Albadawi put a shot past Kirk, who came off his line, but was blocked by a sliding Joe Greenspan that needed every inch of his 6’6 frame to get a toe on the ball.

In the 30th minute, Kay Banjo was clearly pushed down while attempting a shot in the box, seconds later, Romeo Parkes was tripped in the box trying to get to the ball. Neither foul was called, which should have given the Riverhounds a penalty kick. In the 35th minute, Banjo had another opportunity in the box, but it was saved. Three minutes later, FCC’S Lasso made a slide tackle, with cleats face up, into Christiano Francois. For his recklessness, Lasso saw yellow, but it could have easily been a red.  The half ended with a few more attacks, but a 0-0 score.

As the second half started, the Riverhounds were bound to score. The game continued being chippy and aggressive, which led to Lasso tripping Banjo in the box, and this time being awarded a penalty. As boos rained down from all angles of Nippert Stadium, Banjo stepped to the spot but shot the ball over the net. Both sides picked up the attacking play, and it was the Riverhounds who finally drew first blood with a Romeo Parkes strike, putting the Riverhounds up 1-0 and ending FC Cincinnati’s streak of not trailing at 1,160 minutes. FC Cincinnati would not give in and got even when Dekel Keinan sent the tying goal past Kirk in the 80th minute. Brett tried to put the Riverhounds ahead two minutes later, but his shot just missed. From that moment on, it was all FCC as they had a point-blank shot blocked in the 85th minute, and Fanendo Adi (the former/future MLS player that FCC acquired with it’s MLS funds) scoring the game-winner and his first goal for FCC in the 89th minute, giving FCC the 2-1 victory.

Next Time Out: 

Pittsburgh Riverhounds host Bethlehem Steel FC  on Friday, September 7, at 7 pm

FC Cincinnati travel to Louisville and take on Louisville City FC on Saturday, September 8, at 7:30 pm.


Photo courtesy of Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC


Geoffrey Fowler

Former WCCC soccer player Westmoreland County Community College & California University of PA alum Writer for BGN Written covering the Pittsburgh Riverhounds