Last night, Las Vegas Lights FC lost their 20th match of the season, a 1-0 defeat vs. LA Galaxy II, and were officially eliminated from playoff contention.
Zero goals. Sometimes, this sport just comes down to simply putting the ball in the net. The Lights carried the edge in possession, only one fewer shot, and one more shot on target than Los Dos. Jorge Hernandez’s goal was truly the difference-maker.
Three Brightest Lights
Bruce El-Mesmari: Late in the match, the second-half substitute had two of the closest calls as his shot from distance saw the LA goalkeeper nearly fumble it into his own net before missing narrowly on a free kick.
Frank Daroma: He completed a ridiculous 106/112 passes (94.6% accuracy) individually and added two tackles.
CC Uche: The captain made five interceptions, one clearance, and connected on 90.5% of his passes.
- For the first time in a long time, Las Vegas had the combination of Cal Jennings, Bryce Duke. and Roberto Molina all in the starting XI. Those players were crucial to the Lights early in the season.
- The goal from Hernandez came after some deflections in the box and the 20-year-old was in the right place to smash home the close-range effort.
- Dekel Keinan made his first start on the LV backline and made four clearances and completed 73/79 passes.
- Daroma, with his energy and passing, has continued to impress this season. LAFC would be wise to keep their eyes on the 20-year-old.
- In the USL Championship’s version of the El Trafico rivalry, Los Dos won three of their four matches vs. Lights FC this season.
- While the playoffs have not been in the cards for the Lights all season, they’ve finally been ruled out officially by the mathematics.
Las Vegas Lights FC will be heading to the Pacific Northwest for a midweek matchup vs. Tacoma Defiance. The Seattle Sounders FC affiliate enters their match tonight vs. Orange County SC on a seven-match losing streak.